Disabled Students' Allowance


Did you know?

Disabled students starting university this year:

  •         should have disclosed their disability on UCAS

  •         should be in touch with the disability team at their preferred university

  •         need to acquire suitable medical evidence in support of their disability

  •         need to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)

Who can help?

Verity MacGregor and Gayle McKay are Transition Officers who can work with schools and colleges to help promote the support available to disabled students in higher education and will assist students with setting up their support at university.

The team can deliver tailored sessions to suit students' needs and help them complete the above steps before they begin their course in the autumn.

  • University support information - raising awareness of which disabilities are supported in HE and informing on the range of support available and how to go about setting it up.
  • Medical evidence support - they will check medical evidence and advise on medical evidence guidelines in HE.

  • DSA application workshops - they will ensure application forms are completed correctly and sent successfully to funding bodies.

  • The team can arrange for 1-1 guidance sessions for individuals (with teachers/parents), if this is appropriate.